Sunday, November 17, 2019

Beyond PowerPoint - Graphics

Powerpoint has useful graphics capability in a restricted, superficial non-professional sense. But I'm tired of being restricted, superficial and non-professional.

I've downloaded and have embarked on the learning process for

Inkscape - vector graphics

Blender - 3D modelling

Gimp - photo ed and raster graphics

LibraCad - precision 2D graphics

Krita - bitmap painting

This should improve things; more flexibility, more subtlety, more better!

I had a look at BRL-Cad, but while it looks powerful, its rather more than I think I need.

My graphics background is Microstation CAD. Thus I'm used to precision and total control over everything. LibraCad might move in this direction, but it won't be the max as Microstation is.

One thing that I'm not sure the non CAD packages have, and I'm almost certain that Krita doesn't have is what in Microstation was called 'precision placement'. This is where you chose a function, identified a point in the design file and keyed in X and Y coordinates for the next point, e.g. to place a line, rectangle, etc.

For some art work this would be just the think I'd like, particularly in a paint program. Paint like a painter wants it is insufficient for me, I sometimes need to 'paint' like a drafter: precisely.


Another couple of great features of CAD, but Microstation in particular:
  1. multiple, active view windows. Microstation supports two screen and each can accommodate floating image windows all of the single design file; all windows are active and can be edited, with edits showing in all windows where they would be seen. The windows call  be different parts of the design file, at different zooms and with different levels (layers) displayed.
  2. reference files. In Microstation one can look at and use (e.g. 'snap to' objects in) other design files and can print the current and reference file as one. Brilliant for productivity.



And, PowerPoint still has some need graphics tools: spacing, alignment aids and alignment types: left, right, top, bottom, centre, middle. Very useful and would be great in a vector or raster package too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I'd love to hear your comments, but if they are off topic, ranting, badly spelt, or just plain dull, I'll shred them.