Saturday, December 31, 2011

Add-on utilities

I've started loading the add on utilities: Recent X, Powermenu are the main ones.

I've used both years ago, but came to the wonders of Power menu through my experience of building mouse menus in Microstation pre-v 95. I was using an old machine and view manipulation was a real pain, interrupting the work flow, so mouse menus to the rescue, especially making and accessing temporary views during drafting.

So, new office, new role, and I was again on a dog of a computer (probably a slow 386 running Windows 3.11 for workgroups; now thats old). So I installed Power menu to get a right click context menu that was application specific: a great help.

I was also dogged by the fact that I and computers think about work differently. Computers think 'folders' I think 'when did I do this'. So Recent Docs, a now defunct application to the rescue. Recent X does a similar but better job, but with both I can get to files I've worked on in order of what I've done, not where the computer stores them.

In fact, storage is a big issue, and I'd prefer to use a dynamic tagging arrangement, where I could put files in any number of 'sets' based on what I wanted to do with them. But, more on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I'd love to hear your comments, but if they are off topic, ranting, badly spelt, or just plain dull, I'll shred them.